Students give their time, energy, and unique talents to help communities in need. These unpaid experiences are related to their field of study or career interests and are offered through groups/organizations external to Rensselaer.
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Healthcare Facilities
- Government Agencies
- Advocacy Groups
Civic Engagement experiences involve supervision by an individual who is knowledgeable in the field at the selected organization. A minimum of 260 hours must be dedicated to this semester-away opportunity.
Note: Students must satisfactorily complete a mandatory LMS course during their semester-away experience.
Search for an Opportunity
The Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) supports Civic Engagement search and registration experiences.
To begin your search, visit Handshake or make an appointment with a CCPD counselor.
Process to Register a Civic Engagement Experience
- Log into sis.rpi.edu to record your away-semester plan
- Visit Handshake to upload your offer letter and resume and to answer a few questions about your experience (Handshake > Career Center > Experiences > Request an Experience)
- CCPD will verify and approve the plan and send a confirmation email to your RPI email address.
- You must attend the away-semester briefing, Preparing for Your Away Semester 2.0.
Office Contacts for Questions and Guidance
The Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD)
- Dawn Cairns-Weaver, Associate Director
- Emily Nicholson, Assistant Director
- Stephanie Perry, Recruitment Coordinator