A cooperative education experience (co-op), is a paid, semester + summer work experience.
An internship is a paid one-term work experience at a company or organization for a fixed period of time, usually three to five months.
Co-op's/Internships involve supervision by an individual knowledgeable in the field. A minimum of 260 hours is required to fulfill this experience.
Note: Students must satisfactorily complete a mandatory LMS course during their semester-away experience.
Search for an Opportunity
The Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) supports Civic Engagement search and registration experiences.
Visit the Arch Internship/Co-Op Search Support on CCPD's website.
To begin your search, visit Handshake or make an appointment with a CCPD counselor.
Process to Register a Co-op or Internship ILE
- Log into sis.rpi.edu to record your away-semester plan
- Visit Handshake to upload your offer letter and resume and to answer a few questions about your experience (Handshake > Career Center > Experiences > Request an Experience)
- CCPD will verify and approve the plan and send a confirmation email to your RPI email address.
- You must attend the away-semester briefing, Preparing for Your Away Semester 2.0.
Office Contact for Questions and Guidance
The Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD)
- Dawn Cairns-Weaver, Associate Director
- Emily Nicholson, Assistant Director
- Stephanie Perry, Recruitment Coordinator