Planning, Application, and Registration for Academic Experience Abroad

Please Note: Students should be registered for ILEA 4400 by the Add Deadline of their Away Term. Any student not registered is at risk of disenrollment after the fifth week of that term.


The world beyond Rensselaer awaits through study abroad, international exchange and other academic opportunities abroad. Students may participate in an affiliated exchange program with a partner university or enroll in a non-affiliated study abroad program at institutions worldwide. 


Affiliated exchange programs offer Rensselaer students the opportunity to take regular classes at partner universities worldwide, allowing full immersion with host country peers and integration into the host institution.

  • Credit
    Yes. Subject to course approval.
  • Tuition and Financial Aid
    Students who participate in affiliated exchange programs will pay regular Rensselaer tuition and may use one of their eight semesters of Rensselaer financial aid, subject to eligibility.
  • Summer:


Students may apply to a non-affiliated study abroad program that meets their academic needs and interests. Up to sixteen credits may be transferred towards the Rensselaer degree, subject to transfer credit guidelines and course approval. Students pay all program costs directly to the provider.

  • Credit: 
    Yes, with program/course approval. Limit of sixteen credits subject to Institute transfer credit guidelines.
  • Financial Aid: 
    No Rensselaer Aid, but student may apply to use any Federal aid for which they are eligible.

Affiliated research opportunities are available at several partner institutions. These non-credit experiences allow students to gain valuable research experience in a wide variety of scientific fields. 

  • Credit: No
  • Cost & Financial Aid:  No tuition costs, but students are typically responsible for travel and living expenses. Some opportunities may provide funding to cover these costs; please contact the OIP for details.


Students may pursue research or volunteer opportunities at non-affiliated institutions worldwide. Many study abroad organizations also arrange student internships for a fee. Students are encouraged to visit the Office of International Programs website to view a list of possible opportunities.


Students must take at least the equivalent of six credit hours of research, study, etc. over the course of the semester in order to remain enrolled at Rensselaer during their semester away. 

There is NO mandatory LMS course for this designation. Students must satisfactorily complete all assignments during the away term.

Search for an Opportunity

The Office of International Programs will support students in their search for a suitable study abroad or other academic opportunities. 

Click to browse programs.

Process to Register an International Experience

International Semester Away experiences must be approved by the Office of International Programs. For details, review the Study Abroad/Exchange Application Instructions.

An international co-op must be approved by the Center for Career and Professional Development.

  1. Log into to record your away-semester plan
  2. Visit Handshake to upload your offer letter and resume and to answer a few questions about your experience (Handshake > Career Center > Experiences > Request an Experience)
  3. CCPD will verify and approve the plan and send a confirmation email to your RPI email address.
  4. You must attend the away-semester briefing.

Office Contact for Questions and Guidance

Office of International Programs

Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD)


Back to top