International Planning and Registration


The world beyond Rensselaer awaits through international study abroad, research, co-op, or volunteer opportunities. Affiliated and non-affiliated programs are available.


Affiliated exchange programs offer Rensselaer students the opportunity to take regular classes at partner universities worldwide, allowing full immersion with host country peers and integration into the host institution.

  • Credit
    Yes. Subject to course approval.
  • Financial Aid
    Yes. Students who participate in affiliated study abroad programs will pay regular Rensselaer tuition and may use one of their eight semesters of Rensselaer financial aid, subject to eligibility.

Non-affiliated exchange programs allow students to identify an international study program that meets their academic needs and personal interests. Up to 16 credits towards their Rensselaer degree may be transferred, subject to Rensselaer’s transfer credit guidelines and course approval. Students pay the program costs to the provider.

Undergraduate Transfer Course Guide

  • Credit: 
    Yes, with program/course approval.
  • Financial Aid: 
    No Rensselaer Aid. Federal Aid is possible for regular semester programs.

Affiliated research and internship opportunities are available at several partner institutions. These non-credit research experiences will allow students to gain valuable research experience in a wide variety of scientific fields. Students must apply through the Office of International Programs.

  • Credit: 
  • Financial Aid:
    It is possible but you must contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Students may pursue research or volunteer opportunities at non-affiliated institutions worldwide. The Office of International Programs will post opportunities that may be of interest to students who are looking for SASA international opportunities.   

  • Credit: 
  • Financial Aid: 


Students must take at least the equivalent of six credit hours of research, study, etc. over the course of the semester in order to remain enrolled at Rensselaer during their semester away. 

There is NO mandatory LMS course for this designation. Students must satisfactorily complete all assignments during the away term.

Search for an Opportunity

The Office of International Programs will support students in their search for a suitable study abroad or other academic opportunities. 

Click to browse programs.

Process to Register an International Experience

International Semester Away experiences must be approved by the Office of International Programs. For details, review the Study Abroad/Exchange Application Instructions.

An international co-op must be approved by the Center for Career and Professional Development.

  1. Log into to record your away-semester plan
  2. Visit Handshake to upload your offer letter and resume and to answer a few questions about your experience (Handshake > Career Center > Experiences > Request an Experience)
  3. CCPD will verify and approve the plan and send a confirmation email to your RPI email address.
  4. You must attend the away-semester briefing.

Office Contact for Questions and Guidance

Office of International Programs

Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD)


Back to top